Friday, January 3, 2014

Living the Dharma


In 2011, I graduated from Montclair State University with a Bachelor’s of Arts degree in Religious Studies. My interest in religion sparked from a deep and persistent yearning to turn my attention inward. I had felt a calling I didn’t quite understand, yet trusted enough to follow. I was beginning to “follow my bliss” as famous mythologist Joseph Campbell once said. Meditation became my tool of choice. Naturally, my meditative path led me to Buddhism, which I found quite intriguing. No one was telling me what to do or believe in. The path was up to me, and the journey was my own. Most appealing was the fact the dharma wasn’t just once a week, or around certain people at certain times, but rather was lived each and every moment. Whether I was on top of the world, or crushed by its weight, my simple task was to pay attention, without judgment, to the present moment. Sounds simple! Yet, as I'm sure all of you who have practiced understand, simple does not necessarily mean easy.

Seated meditation has helped cultivate this open attentiveness, or mindfulness, by continuously shoving me into the rawness of my experience. Over and over again, I have shown up to my cushion, sitting through boredom, restless thoughts, tears, anger, lust, anxiety, happiness, joy, and deep piercing sadness; all of which have come and gone like a midday spring shower. Seasons have passed, as have family members, friends, and much time. Nonetheless, one thing has been consistent amidst all these changes: the open awareness which has allowed these experiences to take place. Although I still get stuck in my thoughts, habitual patterns, emotions, and feelings, I know there is always a vast and peaceful place for me to go where I am always free – where I feel as though I am truly home. More importantly, I have found that sitting with my own suffering has allowed me to sit comfortably and compassionately with the suffering of others. Almost as soon as I began this journey, only five short years ago, I’ve wanted nothing more than to share this path with others - helping them alleviate the suffering in their lives. 

If you wholeheartedly devote yourself to the dharma, living it each and every moment, you will find it cracks you wide open, leaving you vulnerable and with a constant longing to relieve the suffering of those around you in any way you can; even if it’s as simple as a smile. I believe this is what Mahayana Buddhists call bodhichitta, or the awakened heart. With this awakened heart anything is possible. It has allowed me to literally “live the dharma,” not only through meditation and mindfulness, but in all aspects of my life. I currently own and operate a yoga studio where I teach the dharma everyday. I also recently published my first book, Be Your Sh*tty Self: An Honest Approach to a More Peaceful Life, which has introduced many people to mindfulness and meditation, and has opened doors for me to run workshops, retreats, and guided meditations. If I am not meditating or mindfully being in each moment, I am out teaching the dharma to others. Learning and teaching - a lifelong journey I am eager to be taking.

I’ve always said the dharma has changed me completely, yet nothing truly has changed. I am still “Mark," with all the same struggles and neuroses. The difference, I guess, is there is more space for all of these things to come and go without leaving as big of a stain as they used to. Plus there is more room for the suffering of others. By living the dharma, I became the dharma, and now my life is nothing but the dharma. I encourage all of you to dedicate yourself to this path and live it, rather than just read about it. Your life is passing by. What are you waiting for? Wake up already!

No comments:

Post a Comment